Family

Family
Team Sullivan

Monday, April 11, 2011

Vegan Cooking: Kale & Leek Chowder

I am trying my hand at Vegan blogging today with my Kale and Leek Chowder. Well, "my" is strong word when I didn't invent it I just make it multiple times a month typically forgetting some ingredients and adding others... you'll see..... The Rave Diet and Lifestyle by Mike Anderson list this recipe on page 101.

  • 1 14oz can seasoned, diced stewed tomatoes

  • 2 cups vegetable broth 2 cups chopped kale

  • 1 cup cooked brown rice

  • 1 cup drained canned garbanzo beans

  • 1 cup chopped onion

  • 1 cup chopped red bell pepper

  • 1 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup chopped leeks

  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds

  • 1 tablespoon paprika

  • 2 tsp. vegetable broth for sauteing

  • 2 bay leaves

Heat broth over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, leeks, and almonds. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the almonds, paprika, bay leaves, water tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil. Add the kale, rice and garbanzo beans. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.


Here we go...


Dice onion... thanks to my friend Darcy I can do this quickly now!


Prepare leeks - cut off green tops. I mostly use the bottom white parts.


Chop like so...

Dice red pepper and add all three ingredients to the pot. Like so... saute for a few minutes...

Now add the veggie broth (I use a powder from whole foods that reconstitutes into broth when you add water), 2 bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon Paprika to the pot.

Like so... Now add canned tomatoes...homemade or otherwise...
Add a bunch of Kale. I usually cut the center thick stem out and use the leaves on either side.
I just love that color green when the steam hits the kale...ummm.. Now add the cooked rice.... Like so... Simmer 10 more minutes and serve it up hot! Fresh bread and/or crackers are the perfect finishing touch. Oh right, the recipe did call for sliced almonds which are fabulous but I was out of 'em. Still a tasty dish. AND I didn't have a garbanzo beans prepared. I decided to buy 25 pounds of these dry little buggers so I would stop buying cans and make my own! I don't know if my theory is working. Don't forget to dig out those bay leaves before scarfing down this soup! Finally, this a picture of my sweet Abi who kept smiling every time I took a picture of the food. One time she even told the kale to "smile pretty now!" Love, love, love this girl.

No comments: